Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Animals off in the distance

• L_MacD by L_MacD

Hello,
    What do we do about animals in the distance but we just cant make them out. Do we take a guess at it or say nothing in picture? Is there a "can't make out" button that I am not seeing?

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

If there are clearly animals in the distance, but it's just hard to make them out clearly, take your best guess as to what they are. If it's a case of tiny dots or blobs which could be animals or bushes or something else, just mark it nothing here. As for the button thing 😃 kosmala wrote a really excellent blog post explaining why they haven't given us an "I don't know" button, which I think you might find both interesting and helpful (I know I did!) :

http://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2012/12/14/we-need-an-i-dont-know-button/

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

So in this image set, we've got something moving on the left, and a tail swishing on the left of what is clearly a group of animals under that tree in the centre of the photo. I'd be inclined to guess that they're wildebeest, from the colouring and the shape of that swishing tail and the fact that we often see them in groups in the shade of a tree, and I'd guesstimate the number at around 10.

However if nothing was moving, there wouldn't really be enough visual information to be sure that there were animals there, so I'd probably mark it nothing there.

Posted