Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Unidentifiable option?

• SnorriSnorrison by SnorriSnorrison

I've put this down as three rodents as there is no way to flag up that there is something there but it is impossible to identify it - any tips?

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Only advice I've got is to make your best guess. In this case, I'd probably have gone for wildebeest or zebra, for example - when they're eating, their eyes are close to the ground, and we often see night shots of them grazing and wandering around.

If you haven't already found it, @kosmala 's blog post about why they didn't provide an "I don't know!" button, and how they analyse the results, is really interesting and informative, and really does help to assuage the guilt we all tend to feel if we're asked to make a guess based on very little info! 😃

http://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2012/12/14/we-need-an-i-dont-know-button/

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Reading over my post there, I should add that I'm not saying you were wrong to guess at rodents. When there's so little info to go on, the guesses are likely to be all over the place, with none of them more "right" or "wrong" than the next one. I was just trying to illustrate how, in cases like this, all we can do is make use of whatever information is there, and our past experience, and make our best guess as to what it might be.

The blog post I linked to explains how even that provides information to the scientists when they analyse the data.

Posted