Snapshot Serengeti Talk

zebra resting?

• cat63 by cat63

Is this zebra resting? Do they lie down fully to rest during the day or is it sick/dead? Would other animals stand around next to a dead zebra?

Posted

• wilderzone by wilderzone moderator

I just got this one and had the same thought. Equine adults don't usually lay down on their sides like this unless there's something wrong. I can see there's another one laying on the other side of it, too, and I thought it might be a baby. I flicked around some of the surrounding images and came up with this one a few minutes later, and the adult is no longer lying down, but the baby is still there.
    ASG000bgn8
    And this one a few minutes before, with the adult laying down, but in a more normal position. ASG000bgm0
    Hours before and after it's just wildebeest and zebras acting normally. So I think the zebra was fine, and might have just laid down for a nap.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

I think I remember one of the scientists saying that adults don't often lie down to sleep like this, but if they feel relatively safe, with others around to raise the alarm in good time if anything happens, they will occasionally do so.

Posted

• cat63 by cat63

Thank you for the information. Interesting.

Posted

• BBCoaster by BBCoaster

There are three Zebra, one standing and two on the ground, both on the ground are breathing, the one behind the nearest one looks very young, maybe just born.

Posted

@BBCoaster That's pretty much what I was thinking, and why I started sorting through the surrounding images hoping to maybe get a real birth sequence! Have some time this afternoon, might to some more sifting and see what I come up with.

Posted

Went though a bunch of surrounding images, and I don't think it was a birth. Found an image of the foal suckling, and he doesn't look very newborn. Darn cute, though. ASG000bgro

Posted

Here's a collection with all the images from this time period I could dredge up. The scenario I've put together suggests that a bunch of wildebeest were hanging around, as they do. Then the herd of zebras come by, mom and her foal lay down for a spell. Some wildebeest decide to do the same. Zebras wander off about an hour later. Wildebeest continue to linger, as they do.

CSGS0001gp

Posted

• BBCoaster by BBCoaster

Thanks for the reply.

Posted

• Veegee by Veegee

I have come across a couple photos where a zebra is lying down, not prone like this one, but on it's legs, which kinda surprised me as I didn't think they laid down. Nice to know it is OK, Zebras are my favs

Posted

• Aprilwitch by Aprilwitch

Any mother with young can understand the need for a bit of rest. 😉

Posted