Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Grants Gazelle eating in center of photo?

• MrsDagnarKravitz by MrsDagnarKravitz

Any other thoughts? The horns are not quite what I was thinking would be on a Grant's gazelle.

Posted

• ajg by ajg

the bodies and shape of the face looks like those are impala and the bit of white floof on the tail of the one exiting. Others?

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

I'd agree with ajg - impala. Another thing to look for - on impalas, the white colouring on the belly doesn't come so far up the side as it does on Grant's Gazelle, and the paler strip is right above it, whereas on Grant's Gazelle there tends to be a strip of darker hair between the white and the paler stripe. The colouring on an impala tends also to be more horizontal than on a Grant's Gazelle, where the paler strip of hair tends to angle up a little towards the rump.

Posted

• okopho by okopho

Agree with all of the comments above.

But I also think it's worth looking at the habitat with captures like these. Although there are no hard and fast rules, the Gazelles tend to prefer open grassland (as do Topi, Hartebeest, and Eland), whereas Impalas tend to prefer wooded areas (as do Reedbuck, Bushbuck, Waterbuck and Dik dik).

Posted