Snapshot Serengeti Talk

No idea!

• jules by jules

This one has me stumped. Hoping someone will know what it is!

Posted

• wilderzone by wilderzone moderator

This appears to be the back side of the left horn of a wildebeest. Buffalo horns are thicker, and don't curve back inwards as much as this.

Posted

• okopho by okopho

The shape of the horn suggests either Wildebeest or Buffalo. Wildebeest horns are quite upright and bulbous at the base, whereas Buffalo horns are more horizontal, and have a sweeping curve at the base.

Also, since both Wildebeest and Buffalo are usually seen together in herds, its worth looking at the animals in the background. Wildebeest have greyish-brown fur and an angular, high-shouldered outline. Buffalo, on the other hand, have almost black fur and a more stocky, squarish outline.

Based on the above, I would probably classify all these animals as Buffalo.

Posted

• wilderzone by wilderzone moderator

I think @okopho may be right. The perspective is odd, and it's hard to tell what angle the head is at. It loos like the horn is curling back quite a bit, but it could just be that the animal's head is tilted upwards.

Posted

• okopho by okopho in response to wilderzone's comment.

@wilderzone. And I may be wrong 😉. Everybody sees things slightly differently. I mostly wanted to explain how I would go about trying to make a decision on a tricky one like this. You could just as easily be right.

Posted

• jules by jules

Thanks for the comments all! I went for wilderbeest before posting here so I may not have been too far off the mark.

Posted