Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

think this is another of the same creature? enter image description here

Posted

• chipo by chipo

Hedgehog?

Posted

#hedgehog is what I'd wondered, but thought I'd ask, as wasn't 100%.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Looks like a hedgehog to me too, but I don't even know if there are hedgehogs out there! Heh... such ignorance! 😄

I've emailed @kosmala and @wilderzone to see if either of them can confirm.

Posted

• chipo by chipo

It is mentioned here: http://www.serengeti.org/animals.html , the North African Hedgehog aka Atelerix algirus maybe it was that one.

Posted

@kosmala says "...the white-bellied hedgehog has a range that includes the Serengeti...", so perhaps it's more likely that than the North African hedgehog. Seems it's also known as the four-toed hedgehog, and most domesticated hedgehogs in the US are a cross between the Algerian/North African hedgehog and the white-bellied/four-toed hedgehog, resulting in a hybrid commonly called the African Pygmy Hedgehog. Heh! Isn't the internet wonderful? 😄

Either way, there are definitely hedgehogs in the area covered by the camera trap project, so I think we can safely agree that it's a hedgehog. 😃

Posted

• chipo by chipo

And we can call her Thorny! 😉

Posted

Thorny is good name, it's more orginal than the more commonly picked names of Spike or Prickles. I'd thought about Acacia, after the serengeti tree with thorns that look a bit like hedgehog spikes. but Thorny is good.

....If we happen across more creatures like the Bats and Hedgehogs among next seasons pictures, do you want people to tick the 'nothing there' but to hashtag bat/hedgehog or would maybe logging them under rodents heading and hashtag, even though they are not rodents, they would be easy to sort from the proper rodents as I'd guess, there is very few rodent images. As I think adding a new option of 'animal other' could likely encourage some to use it when they don't know what an animal is, cause only an ear, nose or hip is in view...

Posted

So now we have Harvey the Hartebeest, and Thorny the Hedgehog. Heh! 😃

Unless one of the scientists pops up at some point to say otherwise, just mark the image "nothing here", and then add an appropriate hashtag. That'll be easier to handle than labelling things something they're not (such as labelling a bat as a rodent). As far as I know, it's mostly not a case of something having been accidentally left out of the selection list, it's simply that the scientists are really only interested in extracting and studying data relating to specific creatures for the purposes of this project.

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Definitely hedgehog! I've seen them in Serengeti, they are widespread. Cool!

Posted