Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Mystery tail?

• Heronimus by Heronimus

Ok, this is one mysterious tail (or is it something else). My first thought was the rear of a porcupine. But it doesn't really look like spikes and the white is missing.
    Same goes for a Ratel (Honeybadger) again no white. So in the end i went with a striped Hyena. Is this correct? Or am i overthinking this too much and is it something really simple?

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Tough one! I don't think Striped Hyena would look so dark. I'm as puzzled as you are. What about tail of a female Ostrich? She shouldn't be walking around at night, but could have been disturbed. Other ideas?

Posted

• GordonGillespie by GordonGillespie

I think it is a #Jackal

Posted

• omicronCeti by omicronCeti

Aardwolf is my completely uneducated guess...

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

I'd have gone for Aardwolf or then possibly thought Bat earred fox, as the tails of both have similar looks, although sometime later there was a spotted hyena, but its tail looks not quite full enough to match the earlier animal. my final guess cause of the pattern of dark n light is Aardwolf.

enter image description here

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

You know, I think you got it! Thanks for that good comparison.

Posted

• Heronimus by Heronimus

Thanks for all the input, seeing these pics i agree it looks more like aardwolf.

@AowlanCrystal: You said sometime later there was a Hyena, how do you check this? Is there some kind of code to look at pictures slightly sooner or later? That would help a lot in identifying for future pics

Oh wait, i found the topic that explains it allready

Posted