Snapshot Serengeti Talk

What kind of animal is this?

• Tarime by Tarime

Could this be an ostrich?

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

It's really hard to say. Your guess is as good as mine.

Posted

• Sterrennevel by Sterrennevel

I would say it's grass. During the day it looks like this: http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/subjects/ASG000py34

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

Neat! That is the second "ghost animal" I've seen. The other one is the mysterious "cat" that also is a plant during the day:
    ASG000nego during daylight, next image in the series ASG000negp.

Posted

• Envirogirl667 by Envirogirl667

I think its a small deer like animal.

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

Its grasses, these images (and others like them) have been catching us out a bit, but this one pretty much shows the same image for many, many sequences and finally when daylight comes and you can see the grass. Sterrennevel found ASG000py34 showing the grasses in daylight, ASG000py2a shows the start of the sequence where the grasses start to cause the effect and ASG000py2b show the effect increasing.

Posted

• Envirogirl667 by Envirogirl667

Oh. That makes alot of sense now.

Posted

• Tarime by Tarime in response to Envirogirl667's comment.

Thanks a lot, for the mystery resolved 😃

Posted

• Tredegar by Tredegar

ok so I didn't know the grass phenomenon and I identified it as another as a small dear like a gazelle. So how does this skew the results of this project?

Posted

• telophase by telophase

From what I understand, there will probably be enough wildly differing IDs from the different people who look at it that it should be flagged for review by an expert.

Posted

• aliburchard by aliburchard scientist, translator

@telophase - yep, you're exactly right. Tredgar -- you can read a bit more about how we go about deciding on the "correct" ID for a species here: http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/boards/BSG0000006/discussions/DSG0000dxb

Posted