Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

They are topi.

Posted

• Coversyl by Coversyl

David, how can you tell?

Posted

Because I have been identifying distant Serengeti animals for nearly 40 years! I've seen enough pictures of this site to know that there is a resident topi herd. From a distance they look dark with shiny light backs, which is also true of gnu, but topi hold their heads high like a hartebeest. Hartebeest would look less dark, with pale hindquarters. Gazelles would be smaller and blend into background more. Hope that helps?

Posted

• Coversyl by Coversyl

That does help, thanks 😃 I appreciate that you have far more experience than I do, but I was just wondering if there are any specific characteristics that help you identify them.

Posted

I did try to list some specifics above, but it's not always easy to put into words the complex of cues I use, and they change with distance. For example, at close range you recognize a topi by its color markings and shape of horns, but far away you can't see those things, so you depend on its body shape, apparent size and dark body with shiny texture. Close-up a zebra is striped, but far away you have to recognize it by shape and by it being a neutral grey color. I think all you can do is practice looking at plenty of identified photos of these animals at different distances. Wish I had time to put together a good ID chart but I don't!

Posted

• bear1lit by bear1lit

Interesting discussion, thanks for sharing the info.

Posted

• sisige by sisige

I think you did a great job providing specifics. It was great to hear what you saw in that picture that made for a definitive ID. Every bit of information like that adds to our mental arsenal, so maybe as you come across pictures of animals that are obvious to you but may be less obvious to the rest of us, add a few comments like the ones you provided above. 😃

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator in response to sisige's comment.

OK, will try to remember that. But I'm only commenting on pix that appear in 'Recent' or 'Discussion Boards' so it's up to you to post those which you want clarified.

Posted

• sisige by sisige

Sounds like a fair deal.

Posted