Snapshot Serengeti Talk

• yvonnewedgwood by yvonnewedgwood

Much the same today - the ubiquitous wildebeest, zebra and Thompson's Gazelle.
    But it's always a thrill to see some of the not so prevalent animals. Today I saw a full frontal shot of a large male elephant; 2 giraffes; 1hippo. Quite a few (Cape?) Buffalo today (change form wlldebeest) and also for the first time saw a Topi and an Ostrich.

Posted

• yvonnewedgwood by yvonnewedgwood

I just wondered if there could be an option ..... "unsure" on the classification menu. Especially with the deer species, if you can't see their entire body markings, it is rather difficult to classify. Another thing is that often you get a part of a body up against the camera and it is impossible to recognise the species. Also I get the feeling that sometimes the same animal of group of are showing up more than once and are being counted twice.

Posted

• JMyland by JMyland

I agree that an "unsure" or "unidentifiable" button would help. I've had several pictures where all you can see is a blurry flank or leg and I haven't a clue what is it.

Posted

• sisige by sisige

I've run into a few pictures like that too, but they really just want you to take your best guess. See their explanation here: http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/boards/BSG0000006/discussions/DSG0000dxb

Most of the time you can at least pick out something plausible. For example, is it tall (does it cover most of the camera shot, if up close) or medium height, tan, or dark. After a while, you'll start to see differences in the stance of some of the different animals, so that can help with ones that are farther away. I also find it helpful to use the characteristics tools at the top of the animal list. Pick a color and size, an animal type from the "looks like" list, and then just go with something on that list. 😃

Posted

• Veegee by Veegee

I think you can usually narrow it down on the close up standing shots, usually a 'brindle' type pattern
    is a wildebeest, light tan, probably a hartebeest or eland. Tails for all 3 are different, that helps to ID them.
    I sometimes have problems with the smaller antelopes, but, if one can see the rumps, there is an
    excellent identifier on the individual pages. If not, then I try to go for the faces, the Impala usually have
    black eartips and no real facial markings, the gazelles have facial markings but different, etc.
    Just narrow down what you can and then, best guess on some of them.

Posted