Snapshot Serengeti Talk

How Do We Count Animals in the Distance?

• kruseau by kruseau

In this picture there are 2 animals that can absolutely positively be identified as Wildebeests. A third animal obscured behind the animal in the foreground that is very likely a Wildebeest. A fourth and fifth animal in the background that are probably Wildebeests because of their silhouettes and close proximity to the others. There look to be 2 or 3 or even more in the far right, but I can't clearly count them. I put down 5 Wildebeests, standing & eating for the survey, but could have answered more or less depending. How certain should we be? I know we are supposed to make an educated guess if we don't know the species, but what about the numbers? Should I have guessed at the number in the far right making the total 7 or 8?

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

I try to be as accurate as I can, which sometimes means that I have to guess as to whether a dot on the horizon is another animal or not. Answers will vary but still give the researchers an idea whether there is a herd or a couple of animals or just one. In this image I see 7 wildebeests, based on their shape I'd be very confident about this identification.

Posted