Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Is there something there?

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday

In the center of the grass there is something that comes and goes, dark, and cat-like. I think it is a shadow of whatever is up in the tree in the far left that is there for only a moment and I cannot ID. Perhaps it is a caracal from what I think is a shadow and if they go in trees! I was so intrigued by it I forgot to ID the critter to the left of the tree, I believe is a #wildebeest.

Posted

• Jinx by Jinx

I zoomed in and I can see a wildebeest laying in the grass in front of the tree. It's head is facing to the left edge of the picture. There is something moving behind it but it's hard to tell if it's part of that wildebeest or another laying next to it (possibly a baby wildebeest). I also see the shape moving in the tree but it's just too dark to make out.

Posted

What I was referring to is in the center of the pic, under the bush the sticks up. It is like a head popping with ears almost straight up, kind of like Felix the Cat if you knew the cartoon. But then there is something to the right of the head that pops up too. My screen is very, very dark. Maybe it is wildebeest young, but the head/ears didn't seem right. I guess it is something actually there then and not a shadow. Are you saying there may be 2 on the ground? Or you can't tell?

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

There are at least 4 wildebeest lying down, including the one whose horns/ears you see moving in the middle, which seems to be a young animal.

Posted

Thanks, I need to find some way to change the contrast or something. My monitor is just too dark.

Posted

I used Preview on my Mac to brighten images. I can just drag the picture from the page directly onto the program icon to open and then use "Adjust Color" to change exposure/levels. Someone else mentioned they use iPhoto in the same way. You can probably also simply adjust your monitor settings if you generally find that the monitor is too dark.

Posted

• greyjay by greyjay

I use Picasa to lighten any pics that are really dark with my Windows PC. I save the file and then import it to Picasa, then lighten. Zooming is not so good as it pixelates quite fast, but its enough to see what was hidden in the darkness.

Posted

• greyjay by greyjay

Apart from the wildebeest there is something small with pointed ears lying at the front slightly to the right of the central bush.

Posted

• sisige by sisige in response to greyjay's comment.

That's the young wildebeest. The pointed bits are the straight horns of a young animal, and you can see the ears farther down stick out to the sides. It turns its head from front to side during the capture.

Posted

It looks to me like the head of a young wildebeest, looking straight at the camera, the body is mostly hidden in the grass to the left. You can see either the ears or horns (they are straight on young wildebeest). It is very unlikely that this is a cat of any kind, considering that the wildebeest are not in the least bit alarmed.

Posted