Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Tutorial

• LSKE1929 by LSKE1929

The tutorial does not tell one how to use the discussion boards, the different ones, and what happens to comments, and how to choose which board to make one's comments. I've made a lot of identifications, and am still not sure how to use the discussion boards!

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

I make no claim to fully know the answer to this, so if anyone wants to correct me, please do so:

As for which discussion board to use, use the one that seems most close to what you want to discuss, so use the first one for topics related to the functioning of the site, the second one for more scientific discussions and the third for more social interactions. But in reality you probably will get an answer (if anyone has one) no matter where you post. Speaking for myself only, I usually check all the boards when I am online and see if there are any new unanswered questions and if I can help I will. I am not directly affiliated with the project itself, just an "advanced user".

As for comments, they are mainly used for us citizen scientists to share interesting images, comment on things we observe etc. They will most likely not be included in the analysis of the images, i.e. adding "oops, I missed that zebra" does not correct your previous classification. However, many (10 or more) people will look at each image and that will mostly take care of such omissions (see the blog affiliated with this project for more interesting details on how the data is analyzed).

If you have any further questions, please post again and I will try to answer them.

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

I think you've summed it up well areinders.

like areinders, I'm just an advanced user. I likewise check the boards for questions, and also the newly commented on classification images, to see if there are any i can answer or add a thought to. and will echo areinders, the blog is really interesting place to look for more indepth information of what the scientists are doing with the data, how it can help them etc.., but also add that there are a number of pinned or featured discussions on the discussion boards that can help users find answers to the most often asked questions, one of the most common asked questions by newer users is the "Why do we not have a 'don't know' option?. ....
    ......but as areinders says, just choose the one that most closely fits the subject your asking about.

Posted