Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Removal of images?

• sisige by sisige

I was wondering if they can remove a batch of images from the site. I came across this image (ASG000ouaf, July 9th 2012, 8:01:10 pm) where the camera seemed to be blocked, and the images before it were blocked in the same way, showing that whatever it was persisted, so I tracked down the first blocked image.

This image is fine: ASG000ou1o, and then the next one, ASG000ou1p (July 7th 2012, 6:02:11 am), is blocked. I didn't check every image along the way (I jumped through it by incrementing the penultimate character), but it seems to be pretty consistent all the way through to: ASG000oukk (July 21st 2012, 4:57:20 pm), at which point maybe it ran out of space, because the next image is almost 2 weeks later as one of the crew conducts maintenance: ASG000oukl.

By my reckoning, that's about 720 pictures that look about like this one does, so I was wondering if it's possible for the techies/image uploaders to select a batch of images like that and remove them from the site, so that we don't spend 7,200 classifications telling you there's nothing there (or maybe there is, and I bet it's a wildebeest!). Of course, maybe most of those classifications have already been made since this is season 5, but it was just a thought I figured I'd pass along. 😃

Posted

• lucycawte by lucycawte moderator

How do you find the next pictures in a series?

I don't suppose the people loading have time to look at all the pics to see which need deleting, I guess that is sort of our job. Luckily the pictures given to you are randomly selected so you shouldn't have to id loads of blank ones in a row. In the old Serengeti live days you id by camera roll so you really did have to id 700 blank shots or grass shots.

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator in response to lucycawte's comment.

It's explained in detail here in this post: http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/boards/BSG0000006/discussions/DSG0000dxk

In short, you can just change the last letter/number of the image ID to get the next or previous image. For example, if the number is ASG000oukl the previous image would be ASG000oukk and the next image would be ASG000oukm. Number are first, starting with 0 until 9, followed by the alphabet.

It's really very useful to check difficult images. Often the next or the previous image shows more of the animal and can confirm or correct an ID. It does not help for that particular ID because you can only do this after submitting the classification but it is a good learning tool.

Posted

• Veegee by Veegee

oh, thanks, wondered how all these people were seeing next in a series photos, now I know!

Posted