Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Steenbok?

• LiamMorr by LiamMorr

This looks like a steenbok to me but there was no option to classify that - I take it this is unusual in the Serengeti, and if it is unusual how do we feed back things like this to the Snapshot team?

Posted

• sisige by sisige

There are a few animals that might show up in the traps, but that aren't available in the guide. The general guidance is to pick whatever is closest to it, and then add a comment to the picture on the talk page. In the couple of months I've been classifying, I think I've only seen a handful of steenboks/steinbucks show up on the talk page, and maybe only one or two in my own classifications, so they definitely seem more rare than most of the other animals in the guide (except maybe the rhino and the zorilla!)

Anyway, good catch, and thanks for sharing it with the group! 😃

Posted

• Mamaganoush by Mamaganoush

I would like an additional category added: "can't tell" or "can't identify". For those blurry bits of a critter moving past the camera, but too fast or too close to I.d.! I've been marking those "nothing here" because there's no other way to move to the next capture.

Posted

• sisige by sisige

If you know there's an animal there, unless it's a tiny moving blip on the horizon, you should always put down a guess at what it might be, rather than choosing "nothing here." If it's too close to the camera, large enough to fill the whole frame with a uniform patch of dark fur, then wildebeest or buffalo might be good guesses. Light tan colored? Then maybe a hartebeest or eland. Wrinkly and tree-like? Probably an elephant. Small, tan and deer-like? Maybe one of the gazelles. You can make pretty good guesses based on minimal information, especially as you classify more and more pictures.

Here's a great post from the scientists on why they don't offer a "don't know" option: http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/boards/BSG0000006/discussions/DSG0000dxb

And don't worry about being wrong. All our guesses get added together, and it turns out the consensus can be pretty good and figuring these things out. 😃

Posted

• Envirogirl667 by Envirogirl667

It kind of looks like a gazelle, it's very cute! 😄

Posted