Snapshot Serengeti Talk

hyena??

• Tarime by Tarime

unclear to me what it is, but this fur could belong to a hyena

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

I think you are correct, see the next image: ASG000punt, looks like a spotted hyena.

Posted

• lucycawte by lucycawte moderator

Now a quick question, after you have classified a shot I know how to check the next images but is there any way to check the next image before you classify. As far as I am aware you can't, but it would certainly help sometimes.

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator in response to lucycawte's comment.

No, you can't check the images in a series until you have entered the discussion page, which is only possible after you clicked "finished". I agree, it would be helpful. I don't know how much sequences of images are used in the final analysis by the scientists. Sometimes there are very difficult images that probably will result in many different responses from the classifiers but the next or previous image in a sequence is very easy and clearly shows the animal. If these sequences and the corresponding answers can be put together this could make identifications more reliable.

Posted

• lucycawte by lucycawte moderator

Thought as much, ah well. In the old Serengeti live system you id'd in sequence on a specific camera roll. I quite liked that as it helped seeing the preceding and after shots as well as the time stamp. On the other hand a thousand shots of grass was pretty tedious. So its probably good that the images are randomly picked for you to id. I agree at least its a way for the scientists to verify those tricky shots.

Posted