Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Surprisingly stumped

• LoriK by LoriK

#waterbuck ? This should be easy- there are several with different viewpoints, but for some reason I'm stumped/

Posted

• rlb66 by rlb66

The horns, tail, size and color will match Elands. Hard to see the give away distinctive black leg marks or dewlap.
    Addendum: Try next photo Image ASG0011rcu 2 minutes earlier.,

Posted

• LoriK by LoriK

So I thought that may be an option as well, but the antlers are surprisingly long for an Eland- they are more red in color than the Eland description states. I didn't see the black bands on legs or dewlap either. I haven't seen this many congregated Elands OR Waterbucks. I'm betting my waterbuck guess is wrong- and interested in hearing others thoughts 😃.

Posted

• Username4242 by Username4242

If you look at the second example image, elands can be extremely red. See also here.

Examining the far left ungulate, you can see some vague white striping on the right shoulder. Unfortunately, the legs are fairly concealed by grass, making identification of the bands difficult.

So, I'm almost certain that these are elands.

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Definitely eland. Tasseled tail is distinctive, and some eland - young and females - can be quite reddish. They can have quite long horns ( not antlers!!), even longer than head. They can sometimes be in quite large herds. And they have very smooth short coats, unlike waterbuck which has long shaggy hair.

Posted