Snapshot Serengeti Talk

can't identify this?

• joolslee by joolslee

There isn't a "don't know" or "can't decide" option so I had to click "nothing here" to move on ... can anyone tell me what this is? I thought aardvark initially but checked google images and couldn't find one with skin like this

Posted

• Jinx by Jinx

Those are guinea fowl. See spotted feathers and blue head.

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

The shape of the Guineafowl and its strange plumage, has many questioning what they are looking at, especially if you can't see its head clearly, as it doesn't look a bi-ped creature.

Also if there is something there, do your best to narrow it down to something, even if your guess, does turn out to be wrong, sometimes, its not really a problem, the scientists would rather you picked something as close to its colour/size as you can, (it can help to rule out what it isn't,for example, with this image you can rule out all Yellow/Brown/red/white/stripy animals, also all large and lanky animals, its better for the scientists for you to say something than clicking 'nothing here'. we all get animals wrong from time to time, as we have often little to go on to help narrowing it down to just one and sometimes faced with a choice of 2 or 3 possibles, its easy to pick the wrong one sometimes.

Check out this post, as to why we don't have a 'don't know' option. http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/boards/BSG0000006/discussions/DSG0000dxb

Posted