Snapshot Serengeti Talk

FIRE

• samhe by samhe

Should i somehow record this fire?

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Much of the study area was burnt, mostly deliberately, during that dry season, so there are thousands of fire photos. It isn't necessary to report or tag them. Fires are a yearly occurrence in much of the Serengeti, except where the grass is too short to burn.

Posted

• samhe by samhe

ok, thanks, didnt know if it was of any interest to the researchers where there had been fire, maybe to see what happens afterwards

Posted

• yayamaui by yayamaui

How about tagging an animal in a newly burned area so you can see how soon they start utilizing it?

Posted

It's hard to tell if the area is recently burnt, unless it's still smoking. Then it may appear black for weeks. Generally animals will start to pass through within a day of the burn - birds and primates looking for toasted or easily visible insects or seeds, gazelles checking for green shoots, or other animals just passing through.

Posted

• Holmes83 by Holmes83

You said that some of the areas under study are burned mostly deliberately, can you explain why this is? Thanks

Posted

• samhe by samhe

it is generally good for the plants to be regularly burnt, it restarts their reproductive systems and creates new green habitats.
    It is part of the natural process,, since there would be regular fires, due to the dryness of the area, so plants and animals there have evolved to live with it. By controlled burning, they can make sure that there are not huge bush fires that will spread across a huge area, possibly threatening wildlife, and humans.

Posted

• Holmes83 by Holmes83

Thanks Samhe, I have also sent you a PM with a another question, hope that's ok 😃

Posted

• ultrafire3 by ultrafire3

I hope the camera wasn't burnt up...

Posted

If the pictures on the SD card survived, it wasn't 😃

Posted