Snapshot Serengeti Talk

"nothing here" or make a guess?

• Ahmagahz by Ahmagahz

If I were to guess I would say this is two zebras, but it could be other things, and there could be more of them. In similar situations to this, or where I can only see somethings butt or flank or whatever, I am marking them as "nothing here". Is that appropriate? I understand that more people will be going at them.

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

If there's something, it can't be nothing, so always make a guess!

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Yes, even wild guesses are helpful! If the science team sees a lot of people guessing different things, they know that it's a difficult picture and may have it analyzed by a pro. 😃

Posted

• philipparw by philipparw

Some photos show such a small amount of 'animal' (i.e. very close to camera, or just eyes in dark) it's impossible to guess - would a 'looks-like' level option, e.g. 'bird' work here or would that allow too much avoidance of decision making?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Here's the thing, as I understand it: even if you make a ridiculous guess, so will everyone else who is seeing that image. If we have 10 people who classify an image as 6-7 different things, the data reduction will classify that image as something like "difficult to identify," and the scientists will treat it as such.

Sometimes, a group is better than any individual believes him/herself to be at pulling a correct ID out of nowhere. But even if it's impossible, guess anyway, and don't worry about being wrong. That's the great thing about Zooniverse projects: 10 people all being wrong tells us almost as much about an object/image as 10 people all being right! 😃

Posted