Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Any ideas?

• SafariLiz by SafariLiz

I'm sure I got this one wrong. Hopefully someone can go in an correct it!

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator

It is a lion playing with the camera 😃

Posted

• SafariLiz by SafariLiz

Thanks, Tilly 😃 I put cheetah, and had to hit finish (to be able to post the photo to discussion), but I wondered lioness. But now, having hit 'finish', I don't seem able to change what I put. (It's in a different tab).
    Am I missing something? I'd expect to be able to change it once I got a positive ID.

Posted

I think once you have hit the finished key there is, unfortunately, no way to "correct" your choice . I may be wrong as this side of things is not my forte and somebody may know a way round it. Any ideas anyone ? 😃

Posted

• BHamer by BHamer

I seem to recall from a couple of seasons ago that this was addressed, and the short answer is, no, you can't change a classification once you've hit "Finish." The rationale given was two-fold: (1) It would sort of undercut the purpose behind this type of citizen science initiative, for which the idea is to form a consensus among a bunch of different observers. If you allow people to change their classification after discussing the capture, then those observers' classifications are just reflecting other people's impressions rather than their own. But really, it doesn't actually matter that much, because (2) The group collectively almost always gets it right anyway, even with a few erroneous classifications in the mix.

Not to answer for the Snapshot Serengeti team, but... well, actually, that's sort of what I'm doing, I guess. But that is what I remember of the discussion.

Posted

That makes perfect sense, so thanks for that. 😃

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to SafariLiz's comment.

Hi @SafariLiz -- don't worry about "correcting" anything. Many people see each image, and the algorithm is designed to extract an ID, where possible, from the educated guesses of many people. So your best guess is always helpful, even if it's technically wrong.

You can learn more here: http://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2012/12/14/we-need-an-i-dont-know-button/

Thanks for helping out!!

Posted