Snapshot Serengeti Talk

New observation category

• melacretanycap.rr.com by melacretanycap.rr.com

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but in viewing some of the photos, I see animals moving way off in the distance. I don't like to put "No Animals Observed" but that is the only option. Is there a way to add a category "Animals Too Far Away To Be Identified" or something like that? Or do these photos offer no important information for the study. Thank you! Mary La Creta

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Use 'no animals' only if there are NO ANIMALS. If there are animals, make a guess. For example, these are scattered, pale animals, in open plains, so they will be either zebra or gazelles. Looking at the sequence, I can see horns over on the right, so they are gazelles. So I might say '7 Thomson's gazelles'. Someone else might say '6 Grants'. Several different people get to vote on each picture. If everyone agrees what it is, it's a done deal. If there's a big difference of opinion, the scientists can take a closer look to see what they think. So your opinion matters, even if you aren't sure whether you are right. 😃

Posted

• sisige by sisige

And just to add to that, the wrongness of your guess (if you were wrong) would give the scientists information, I.e. that this is a challenging shot. 😃 So make your best guess, but do guess away.

Posted

• cometsky by cometsky

What if something is CLOSE To the camera and there is no way to tell what it is? In my experience it's usually a Wildebeest but sometimes you can't tell. What is the appropriate photo classification in that case?

Posted

• sisige by sisige

Same guidelines: make a guess. If you're looking at the side of the animal that eliminates a lot of shorter (e.g. Thomson's gazelle, wharthog) and taller ones (e.g. elephant or giraffe). Are there ANY patterns like spots or dark patches? Is it tan in color or dark brown. If no patterns, and dark brown, wildebeest is probably a good guess. And by making that guess you tell the scientists that it WASN'T short\tall\tan\feathered\striped\etc.

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator in response to sisige's comment.

Thanks sisige, all good points!

Posted

• sisige by sisige

Thanks! It's been a while since I've been around to classify, so it's good to know I still have some tips to offer. Also, I learned from the best (I'm looking at you, David, among others)! 😃

Sue

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator in response to sisige's comment.

Awww, thanks, and welcome back!

Posted