Snapshot Serengeti Talk

adding a reason for not being able to classify animals in a picture

• hosborne by hosborne

In this picture I couldn't classify the animal as it was soon close to the camera. Would it be useful to mark this as unclassifyable and give a reason - perhaps it it happens regularly the camera could be moved?

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator

To see why there is no option for not being able to classify an image see http://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2012/12/14/we-need-an-i-dont-know-button/ .

Sometimes the animals do get very close to many of the cameras, not just this one . The positions of the cameras have been carefully planned by the researchers to enable them to determine animal movements, numbers etc., and to move it is unnecessary ( most images will be a lot clearer than this one ! ) and possibly counter-productive 😃

Posted

• alfernan by alfernan in response to tillydad's comment.

I, too, find it puzzling that there is no "cannot identify" button. Some animals are too close, but others are too far! or only part of their anatomy shows up... I am trying to do informed guesses, but some are just plain guesses!

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator in response to alfernan's comment.

Guesses are absolutely fine . Each image is classified by many people until a consensus is reached, or not in some cases . If a clear majority of people guess for one species then it is likely to be that . If there are lots of different species then the research team will pass the image to a group of experts . If they fail to agree then the image is excluded from the data set - but that is very rare .

So, keep up the good work and always have a guess 😃

Posted