Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Baby elephant ?

• Babyballerina by Babyballerina

This looks like a tiny elephant. Am I right?

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

I was tempted at first to agree, but I suspect it may be a side-striped jackal. The shape is not quite right for a baby elephant and it's too small. I have lately seen several sightings of SSJ at this location, season and time of day, on different dates, often with its head down investigating something, and looking about this size. So, what looks like the elephant's trunk at left could be the jackal's tail. and we never see its head, at right. That's my take - other opinions?

Posted

• Babyballerina by Babyballerina

I thought it must be the smallest elephant in the world!

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator in response to davidbygott's comment.

It is a side-striped jackal, we had an almost identical image earlier this season . Your logic is right, @davidbygott, except that you have reversed the animal . The head is bobbing on the left and the tail is down on the right . Note the angle on the left and it can only be a neck and we then have the straight back and the tail on the right 😃

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator in response to tillydad's comment.

Thanks for putting me right, I am left feeling I don't know right from left 😛

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator in response to davidbygott's comment.

Right, I wish I had left it alone but felt it was not to be left as it was and, at least now, it is now right !! LOL 😃

Posted