Snapshot Serengeti Talk

snapshots been looked at before?

• gabriela58blue by gabriela58blue

Hi,
    I just started classifying a few days ago and marked a bunch of the shots I looked at as favorites. When I click on some of them, though, I find comments, mostly from moderators, that have been made a month ago or longer. I also got comments that are just a few days or hours old, which makes sense.
    I was under the impression that everyone who classifies gets to see the pictures for the first time and maybe the moderators check on them if they show something special.
    I don't have a problem with it, but how many people look at the same pictures and why? Just curious.
    Gabriela

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator in response to gabriela58blue's comment.

Hi gabriela58blue and welcome to help with this great project! 😃

This project works this way, every image is shown to several people until consensus reached. Many Zooniverse-projects work same way. Images are shown in random order, so different people can see same image months-minute difference, we can’t affect to that in any way.

It is very important that if there are animals in image - don’t choose ’no animals’. Always give your best guess to all animals you see. No need to worry about mistakes, cause every image is shown to several people, until consensus reached. If not reached (very rare), those images are picked out for closer look by scientists. Every answer is equally important and valuable, also wrong ones that give e.g. info about how hard the image is.

Information about ' How answers are turned into final dataset ' and e.g. ’ Why there is not I don’t know button ’ are explained in details e.g. in our Blog , links below

https://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2016/05/10/hot-off-the-presses-get-your-good-data-right-here/

https://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2012/12/14/we-need-an-i-dont-know-button/

Usually Snapshot Serengeti images are seen by up to 25 people, which can be helpful when images are really hard. Scientists are able to "retire" images earlier depending on what people said (e.g. if everyone says the same thing). Extended Survey season is connected to a different research and I saw the researcher’s comment in here ASG001t9qa that they show to 5-10 people, so I assume it is the number this season.

We moderators are also volunteers and do our best to help others in Talk with identifying and other issues that may appear. We also classify same way as others. We don’t see other volunteers' classifications and we don’t work with the results, scientists do that.

This Hartebeest-image appeared to my Classify-page about a month ago when classifying. I posted it on Talk with ID and info, cause thought it might help others. 😃

Posted

• gabriela58blue by gabriela58blue

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense. Sometimes it is very hard to identify an animal, so I can give only my best guess, sometimes even a fairly random guess. And that's why more people look at them, now I understand!

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator in response to gabriela58blue's comment.

Thank you for your comment! Yes, that is the way this project works. Keep up and enjoy your great and valuable work, we are grateful for that ! 😃

Posted