Snapshot Serengeti Talk

???

• Silwisen by Silwisen

Someone who knows what this is..???

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator in response to Silwisen's comment.

Can' t tell what it is, but I don't think it is standing. "eyes" are so high above ground, possibly something in the tree πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator in response to maricksu's comment.

Maybe an insect on right and something in tree for the other bright spot . Impossible to be sure πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator

I have later seen e.g. these ASG001t4sd , ASG001thzc , ASG001t1f9 , ASG001t1ew , ASG001t8f4 . I think from this same place. In some photos, where it is not so dark, those spots look that they could be e.g. camps far in background, because in same places. Of course, that is just a thought, we can't be any sure of that without more information from our scientists in the field πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator

You may now wonder, how to classify e.g. this.

Well, I can only say what I have done. If some faint spot I have ignored it, and if some clear spot I have chosen insect (that is quite safe choice, may be true and if not, would point to researchers that there is something, though don’t know what).
    I would not choose here bigger animal (obviously not one), neither human (because if not, would give quite wrong impression of the photo).

Might be good to add here that some other kind of photos, where there are e.g. also visible animals, are different case. In those, there could be eyes of animals in background, of course. Every photo is it's own case.

Actual reason why I brought this example up, is to illustrate feedback to the scientists. If we get more these special seasons in the future, where some cameras are set in places where e.g. settlement etc. are maybe possible (at least in theory), would be very welcome and useful (if possible) to inform us those cameraviews, where this kind of things may be possible regularly to see and how/if they want us to classify these objects. It would make classifying more easy for all of us, also classifications more accurate with these kind of photos (these kind of objects/lights may easily cause some extra, unnecessary elephant, giraffe etc. classifications). πŸ˜ƒ

Posted