Snapshot Serengeti Talk

What's the story with these animals?

• BHamer by BHamer

I normally have no problem distinguishing between buffalo and wildebeest, but these guys gave me pause. I'm pretty sure they're wildebeest based on head shape, horns, and tails, but the bodies seem thicker, the fur certainly seems blacker, and the backs don't seem to have quite the slope, compared to what I'm used to seeing. What might otherwise be the usual shaggy mane doesn't seem to be continuous with the ridge of bristly fur down the backs of the closest two, either.

Am I just overthinking this? Is there something actually different about this group?

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator in response to BHamer's comment.

These are wildebeest, for all the reasons that you give in your opening sentence . They appear "normal" to me, perhaps it is the angle that is causing you to doubt your good instincts 😃

Posted

• tam10 by tam10 scientist

Also, they're males (bulls), so are a bit bulkier with larger horns.

Posted

• Wanczura by Wanczura

I agree with the OP. I'm a beginner here and these guys do look bulkier than most, and also because of the flat light but it's coming from the other side, they also look overall darker and less varied than most photos of them. To me. But not to the experienced people!

Posted