Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Unsure of antelope sp.?

• l1ndsayanne by l1ndsayanne

Hi there, new to this so hoping someone can help.
    Animal in back left of photo - I think some sort of antelope, probably impala.
    Any thoughts?
    Also - I am unsure how to submit a photo if I am unsure of the animal identity, yet sure there is an animal! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator in response to l1ndsayanne's comment.

Hi l1ndsayanne, and big welcome to Snapshot Serengeti!

In this image, hard to be sure what animal, but I think it could be also warthog (bodyshape, grey colour).
    Always give your best guess to all animals in image.

This project works this way, every image is shown to several people until consensus reached. Many Zooniverse-projects work same way.

It is important that if there are animals in image - don’t choose ’no animals’. Always give your best guess to all animals you see. No need to worry about mistakes, cause every image is shown to several people, until consensus reached. If not reached (very rare), those images are picked out for closer look by scientists. Every answer is equally important and valuable, also wrong ones that give e.g. info about how hard the image is.

Information about ' How answers are turned into final dataset ' and e.g. ’ Why there is not I don’t know button ’ are explained in details e.g. in our Blog , links below

https://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2016/05/10/hot-off-the-presses-get-your-good-data-right-here/

https://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2012/12/14/we-need-an-i-dont-know-button/

P.S. We have now completed season 9,5 and are enthusiastically waiting for the next season 10 to be launched very soon!!

Zooniverse team has, as usual during this short break between seasons, reactivated some completed images from previous season, so that the site still works for demonstration and people can classify these if they like. Also that data will be used, but scientists probably don't need that to get a good idea of what each image is. If you have some spare time you could join us over at Wildcam Gorongosa where we are currently trying to help finishing the first season of images from this project . 😃

Posted