Snapshot Serengeti Talk

I can see that there are animals far away in the distance in an image. But I can’t tell what they are. What do I do?

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

If an animal is far enough away that you can’t tell if it’s an animal or a rock, then you can ignore it. However, if the animal is close enough that you can tell it's an animal, then please give it your best guess, just as you would for animals that are close to the camera. Your answer will be combined with answers of other volunteers, so don’t worry about getting it wrong.

Posted

Also, if the only reason you know a far away animal is an animal is that it moves, and there are no features of the animal that you can see, then you can ignore that animal.

Posted

• Milkybear by Milkybear

In terms of the number of animals we can see, if some are close enough to identify but some are too far - can we assume they are part of a herd? Or should we just mark the number of animals we can actually identify?

Posted

If you can see those far away animals well enough to believe that they're the same as the closer animals -- same general size and shape, say -- then you can assume they're all the same. But if they're really too far away to see any features at all -- like you can't even tell what the general body shape is -- then don't count them.

Posted

If you can see those far away animals well enough to believe that they're the same as the closer animals -- same general size and shape, say -- then you can assume they're all the same. But if they're really too far away to see any features at all -- like you can't even tell what the general body shape is -- then don't count them.

Posted