Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Why can't I go back to an identification after a side-trip to Talk (discussions)?

• smj by smj

If I want to comment on a particular identification and do so before I have finished the identification, when I click on "return to identification" I get a new image and the identification I started is gone and incomplete. Is there a way to avoid this?

Posted

• smj by smj

I mean "return to classifying."

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

When you press the "Discuss" button, the site believes you are done classifying that image. (You had already pressed "Finish", right?)

Posted

• smj by smj

No

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

Ah, so we don't want you to talk about your image with others until after you've classified it. This might seem odd, but we want to make sure each classification was done by a different person. If you ask someone on Talk to help with your image, you might find someone who'd already seen that one. That person would then have more than one "vote" on that image. Our algorithm for determining what animals are the correct ones in each image require only one vote per person.

Posted

• stevage by stevage

This might seem odd

More like annoying. Being forced to make decisions with very little information is stressful. Also, if you want to prevent people discussing the image until after classifying it, it would be better to pop up a message warning them of what's going to happen. The current behaviour is completely unexpected (eg, see an interesting image, go to discuss to share it with others...and then lose it.)

Posted

• grannygrimmitt by grannygrimmitt

what is the procedure when two species are shown

Posted

• SafariLiz by SafariLiz

Hey, I've just discovered that if there is definitely an animal in the image, but for whatever reason you absolutely haven't a clue (e.g. it's just a tiny bit on an edge, it's so near the camera it's just a silhouette), if you refresh the page it lets you move on.

Posted

• enr987 by enr987

grannygrimmitt, identify one species and hit "identify". Then, BEFORE you hit "finish", identify the second species. Up in the upper left corner of the image there will be a list of the species you have identified in each picture. Once you've IDed each species, hit "finish".

SafariLiz, the scientists don't want you to do that. The most helpful thing to do is to narrow it down as much as you can (is it bigger than a hare? Furry and therefore not a rhino, hippo, elephant, or warthog?) and then pick randomly between the available options. Don't worry about being wrong! See here for an explanation of why this is important: http://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2012/12/14/we-need-an-i-dont-know-button/

Posted