Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Hello....new here with a possibly silly question.

• simba1 by simba1

Posted

• simba1 by simba1

I am trying to figure my way around here so...Are all these discussions and pic postings from when trying to classify? or is there a refresh cam somewhere that others are watching?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Hi simba1. Don't worry - the only silly questions are the ones you don't ask in case they seem silly! 😄

Yes, the photos and discussions on these boards are all from images we've been presented with to classify. You can only start a discussion about a photo once you've finished classifying it - when you click on "Finish", you'll see a "Discuss" button - if you click on that, you can then choose to start a discussion about the image in one of the "Objects" talk boards (Help, Science or Chat) by clicking on the appropriate "Start new xxx discussion" button. Or if you want to post a copy of the photo in an existing discussion, see the pinned Help thread "How to display images full size in discussion posts" for details of how to do that.

Posted

• simba1 by simba1

Thanks dms246.

Got another question... is there a way we can go back and correct a classification from just a few minutes ago? I thought it was a Bushbuck female when after seeing the Reedbuck was a much better fit.

Posted

I'm afraid not, simba1. Once we've clicked on "Finish", that's it. Don't worry overmuch about it though - each image is classified by at least 5 people (and often more than 5), and the data from all of the classifications is analysed collectively. So if one or two classifications are different to the others, that won't have a major impact. We've all mis-classified images, particularly at the start. Heh... in one of my early images, I classified two dik-diks as guinea fowl! 😕

If you haven't already read it, kosmala's blog post "We need an 'I don't know' button!" is really helpful in explaining why they haven't given us one, and how they analyse the data from our classifications. I found it really helped me stop worrying so much about occasional errors or about those images where you feel you're basically having to guess what the animal is because it's so indistinct, or because you can only see a rump, a belly, an eye, etc.

Posted

• simba1 by simba1

Thanks again dms246... and I did stumble acroos that blog post after I asked the question.

Posted

• keel by keel

Am I correct in noticing that this period, each person is limited to a specific number of classifications? The program keeps ending and I have to log in again and again. I think I get about ten classifications and that's it.

Posted

• okopho by okopho

@keel. I had to log in and out a few times when I first started today. But after a while (15 minutes?), things seemed to settle down and everything is back to normal, now.

Posted

@keel : there is no limit on the number of classifications you can do, and you shouldn't be having to log in repeatedly like that. If it continues doing that, please post here again so it can be investigated. It would be helpful if you included what operating system and browser you're using.

Posted