Snapshot Serengeti Talk

classify more than the wildlife

• chairgaf by chairgaf

I think another cool classifying "game" - either in combo with - or stand alone, would be to classify the landscape/plant life in the photos? Also, wouldn't whether we see (any animal) during the day or night be another classification that could be used to tell if any particular animal is primarily active day/night?

Posted

• sisige by sisige

Well, since the cameras don't move around, if the scientists where interested in that information, they could capture the landscape details once when they place each camera. As far as day or night, since each capture has a time stamp, they should be able to determine when animals are appearing just by querying the data on the back end.

That said, though, there's lots of really interesting information that comes out in the image comments and tags, so by all means, if you see something interesting in a picture, comment on it and share it with everyone else! 😃

Posted

• aliburchard by aliburchard scientist, translator

Absolutely right. We do actually record various vegetation data at each camera site (though we've toyed with the idea of trying to measure "greenness" from the photographs to quantify herbivore food!). And yes, please do hash tag anything that stands out - right now that's our best way to find unexpected events!

Posted

• Envirogirl667 by Envirogirl667

How do you find pictures of the same time, for example if I found a picture from March 10 2012, 10:03pm, how could I find one from the same day?

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

Check out this thread, it explains how to find images taken in sequence with the image you are looking at: http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/boards/BSG0000006/discussions/DSG0000dxk

That will give you images from the same camera. There are 200 or so cameras spread in a grid pattern. I don't think there is a way for visitors to this website to easily find images taken by other cameras at the same time.

Posted