Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Sizes of Animals

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

When we see just a patch of fur or a belly or some ears in a photo, how can we reasonably guess what we are seeing? Size matters! Most of the cameras are mounted 1 metre above the ground, so in a perfectly flat landscape, any object that is level with the horizon - at any distance from camera - is about 1 metre high. One of our ID stars, hayvel, has taken an old drawing of mine that shows most of Serengeti's animals drawn approximately to scale, and has superimposed camera height on each animal. This might be useful to you all. Thanks hayvel!

Example Alt Text

Posted

• Asherah by Asherah

I think its great! I've never been quite sure of camera height so its super helpful!

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

Great idea - thanks hayvel!

Posted

• Ahmagahz by Ahmagahz

I have noticed that the cameras are pretty much all "knee height to a giraffe".

Posted

• pdtucci by pdtucci

So a Secretary Bird is three feet high? Or am I misinterpreting the chart?

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

Looks like a little above three feet... about 3'6".

Posted

• aliburchard by aliburchard scientist, translator

@pdtucci @DZM - yup! Secretary birds are huge! Easily over 3 feet (the books say up to 4 feet, but it's hard for me to judge height from the safety of my land rover).

Posted

• Sariemarais by Sariemarais

That's very useful, as is the chance to see all the animals together

Posted

• iamfern by iamfern

Thanks that is so very helpful!

Posted

• jean-marion by jean-marion

Thank you for this. It will be very helpful. I think I may have previously identified a shadowy creature with a long neck and small head as a 4' high giraffe!

Posted

• tam10 by tam10 scientist

Nice, where can I buy a poster of this?? 😃

Posted