Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Is there a field guide for the different herd animals???

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123

it would be awful helpful if there was a field guide for the herd animals. Often it is very difficult to figure out which type it is. Something with a variety of pictures, descriptions and comparison of horns, coloration, and rumps would be great. Can't tell you how many times I've looked at the rump comparisons. Would be real nice to have something that we could print or look at on our computer. Thanks so much

Posted

• cervidae by cervidae

If this was done it would also be nice to see a comparison of facial markings. I always have so much trouble with the closeups of gazelles and impalas when I only have a face to look at.

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator

If you keep classifying you will become more au fait with the differences between the various species. Practice does make nearly perfect.
    For tricky IDs there is always the option of asking on here.

I am trying to collate and produce a field guide but it will not be ready for a while. In the meantime, do the best that you can and it will become easier 😃

Posted

• iamfern by iamfern

there is a field guide that came out last year specific to Tanzania's large mammals called: Larger Mammals of Tanzania by Foley, Foley, Lobora, De Luca, Mshua, Davenport and Davenport. disclaimer-I know Lara and Charles Foley. Don't mean to push a specific guide but it is published by Princeton Press and all author royalties are donated to "the Wildlife Conservation Society and used to support the Tanzanian Carnivore Project..."

Posted

• Bonnie123 by Bonnie123

I guess I have an issue with the whole "guess" concept. You wouldn't write a check for $1,000 and guess that you have money in the bank to cover it, nor would you go to pick up your child at school and "Guess" that you might have the right kid. The whole "Guess" concept makes this project seem very unprofessional, I guess you have never heard of the old saying "Garbage in, garbage out" meaning it's much worse to have bad data than to have no data at all. Why is it not possible to add a "Skip this one" image as other projects have?

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist in response to Bonnie123's comment.

Hi Bonnie. On the contrary -- guesses give us valuable information. Please read my blog post to see why we ask you to guess:
    http://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2012/12/14/we-need-an-i-dont-know-button/

Posted