Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Why isn't there?

• joysalso by joysalso

1. ID images that show the tails. Sometimes that all you can see of the animal but if I go to a hartebeest, for example, the image doesn't show the tail.

2. software to eliminate the obvious ones, or has that already been done and these are the leftovers?

3. A way to click - too small/far away to make out any details and one for too close.

4. a genitalia chart since sometimes that's all we see and most of us are not experienced in which low hanging fruit is which.

5. an eye-shine chart that shows what the eyes of each animal looks like when caught in the camera.

6. Something that tells whether the animal is nocturnal or diurnal so we could know which are more likely ones

7. Some sort of rating so we could see how well we are doing. That would make those doing poorly pay closer attention and not just assume they are getting it right.

Seems like these would make it more meaningful for all sides.

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator in response to joysalso's comment.

In ID-page there are 3 example images of every animal in ID-help. In most animals also a tail-image can be found. In Search-page you can also find a lot more images. Here is one more for e.g. hartebeest ASG001kzf4 . You can always post the image to Discussion, so others can help.

These are not leftovers and every image is valuable data, also those with no animals. If there are animals - don't choose 'no animals'. Always make your best guess. Many people see the same images until the consensus is reached. For identifying animals far, here is a link with very good tips. https://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/?_ga=1.209608338.1014146594.1449503413#/boards/BSG0000005/discussions/DSG0001k43?page=1&com

For genitalia here is one nice collection CSGS0001jy ,but usually some more cues can be found in image.

The eye-shine can vary a lot depending on light, flashlight can create amazing colours.

Most animals are both diurnal and nocturnal and even mostly nocturnal ones can surprise us in broad daylight.

In Zooniverse front page you can see the amount of images, you have done. We all try our best in identifying and if unsure, always can post the image to the Discussion-page for others to help and get this way feedback. Also by reading the discussions and looking at images others have found, we can learn a lot.

This is very meaningful for all of us and very valuable work. We all learn more while doing this, and also have fun and many enjoyable moments. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• joysalso by joysalso

Thanks for trying to address my concerns. I'm not quite finished with the questions.

Genitalia - "usually some more cues can be found in image." I have seen a couple that are almost nothing but genitalia and only a tiny portion of upper leg and torso. This link shows quite a lot of the animal so really doesn't match what I came across.

Some don't show the tail and those are the one I want to know, especially when only the tip of the tail might show as the animal is walking away and is only on the first of the three images. Why not have images of the tail, and close ups as part of the ID, or a link provided, and not make it something volunteers have to go hunting around for?

I am curious why there aren't more options for us to use.

"In Zooniverse front page you can see the amount of images, " I am on snapshotserengeti.org and not zooniverse is that somewhere else I need to visit instead of finding the information here where I am doing the classification?

What about software recognition apps? Why isn't that being used?

And what if someone is lucky enough to see a wild dog? Oughtn't there to be a way to alert the researchers that something special is there? Or is that for 'discuss' and who actually looks at 'discuss'?

Why not a 'flying' when you click on bird since moving could be on the ground?

Thanks

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator in response to joysalso's comment.

The tutorial in front page and ID-help with 3 example-images and description of each animal are the basic tools, planned for our help in this project.

Identifying of freely moving animals may sometimes be challenging, even if we would have 360 degree closeup-examples of their bodyparts. They can be close, far, in various postures, visible partly, different ages or with individual differences, also vegetation, light, weather etc. affecting their appearance. So far human eye has been the best tool to distinguish these details.

It may be possible to narrow down the options, based on many factors such as animals overall size, colour, shape, tiny visible parts, habitat etc. With more practise and experience, identifying will become easier and you can always ask for help and post the difficult images to Discussion Talk page, where moderators and other volunteers are happy to help and you can get feedback this way. Plenty of long-term experience and knowledge available. Please notice, that also children are visiting our site, when writing comments. It is also possible to improve skills e.g. by reading what others have asked, by looking at images others have found or collected or by looking at more images with Search-page possibility.

For Bird in flight- choose moving

For Bird moving on the ground - choose standing and moving

As mentioned earlier, all are trying their best. Everybody has had to learn, you will get better, the more you do. Mistakes won’t affect the final dataset, so no need to worry about that. Give your best guess to all animals you see in images. Same images are seen by several people until consensus reached. If not reached, those images will be picked up for closer look by experts.

Evaluating of persons is not needed and not used in this project. Every guess is equally important and valuable.

The amount of images you have done, you can see by signing in Zooniverse site. Snapshot Serengeti is one of Zooniverse projects. Link to Zooniverse is on Snapshot Serengeti front page in upper-left corner.

Information about 'Why not more options' and also 'How answers are turned into final dataset' are explained in details e.g. in these discussions (links below), that can be found on this site.

https://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/?_ga=1.44430244.1014146594.1449503413#/boards/BSG0000006/discussions/DSG0000dxb

https://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2012/12/14/we-need-an-i-dont-know-button/

https://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/?_ga=1.44430244.1014146594.1449503413#/boards/BSG0000009/discussions/DSG000127t

https://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2016/05/10/hot-off-the-presses-get-your-good-data-right-here/

Hopefully we get sights of the Wild Dog in the future, you may find this (from the Blog) interesting to read:

https://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2016/02/29/reintroducing-the-wild-dog/

You may have already noticed, that we have successfully completed the Season 9.

Thank you for your contribution to the Season 9 ! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted