Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Something with a white tipped tail?

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Anyone got any ideas as to what is in the lower left corner of this shot? It looks vaguely catlike or mongoosey (possibly about to take a leap out of shot to the left), might have faint spots, though I'm really not sure of that, and appears to have a medium length tail which fades to white near the end. I ended up guessing at mongoose, simply on the basis I couldn't think of anything else that wasn't immediately clearly not this animal, and the fact that there is a white tailed mongoose, though that tail doesn't look quite bushy enough for that.

I'd love to know what others make of this, though, in case I come across anything similar again. 😃

Posted

• SimonV2 by SimonV2

there are 3 of this animal in the shot, maybe 4, the one in the foreground, one under the horizontal tree limb, and one in the clearing to the right of the horizontal tree limb. And perhaps another further back behind the one in the clearing. It is some dearlike animal. Notice the long leg on the foreground one that continues behind the grass.

Posted

• SimonV2 by SimonV2

deerlike* >_<

Posted

• aliburchard by aliburchard scientist, translator

Check out the rump shot of the impala (we have a rump button!) on the filter interface or even on www.arkive.org. Even though impalas have dark markings along the top of their tail, the fur along the bottom edge is white.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Oh lord - I missed a heck of a lot in this particular image! I thought I was getting the hang of this, too. 😦 Thanks for the comments everyone.

Posted

• SimonV2 by SimonV2

I think impala is a good identification. Especially comparing to the second example picture that shows a group of females.

Posted