Snapshot Serengeti Talk

armadillos

• Dianas1505 by Dianas1505

I think these are armadillos, but could not categorise them, so I called them reptiles

Posted

• PatrikD by PatrikD

Guinea fowl

Posted

• craigpacker by craigpacker scientist

Yes, guineas!

Posted

• Dianas1505 by Dianas1505

Oh! I'm so stupid! I can see now that they are guinea fowl. Sorry!

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Heh... not stupid at all, @Dianas1505. Believe me, we've all made what, in hindsight, feel like silly categorisations. When we're looking at things we're not familiar with, the mind tries to squidge what we're seeing into a pattern - any pattern - that makes sense of the image, and that can lead to some funny miscategorisations! You're not the first, and definitely won't be the last! 😄

Posted

• dwmjmm by dwmjmm

I was so excited when I got a similar one and thought it was an armadillo - it wasn't until my husband came to look that we realised they were guinea fowl - so you are not the only one!

Posted

• tirralirra by tirralirra

My most embarrassing misidentification was ID a Genet.... it was a zebra sigh... which was quite clear when pointed out, but not at all clear even when I enlarged the pic and lightened it.

Our brains start down a track and stay on it. It's hard to jump track. That's a major reason that some scientific findings are so contentious.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

And I ID'd two dik-diks as two guinea fowl. Heh!

Posted