Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Eland?

• Spaceman98 by Spaceman98

I am not sure what this is... Ithink its an Eland based on the color and long tail, but both sexes of Eland have horns, while this does not, which makes me think its young... Though its odd for it to be alone....

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

I wonder if perhaps it's a young hartebeest? Elands have dark patches on the back of their forelegs, and have a smooth tail with a tassel on the end, whereas hartebeests have tails that are feathered all the way down, and I think I'm right in saying they start out lighter and darken as they get older. And its mum might be just a few yards away, out of shot... 😃

Posted

True, but hartbeast have a sloping back from the shoulder down. This shows no evidence of that slope...

Posted

• tirralirra by tirralirra

It's got the distinctive long snout of a Hartbeest. I'd go Hartbeest. It looks quite young, so the body hasn't filled out for the back slope or horns to appear.

Posted

This is why crowdsourcing is great. Even if people like me get it wrong sometimes, the majority will figure out the right animal 😃!

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

And discussions like this one are great, because we can all add to our mental checklists of what to look for when id'ing these animals. As @tirralirra kind of said in another thread, we'll be able to add to our CVs the ability to id a range of antelope from just a close-up shot of their bum! How many people can claim that accomplishment, eh? lol!

Posted

• apmorgan by apmorgan

Yeah, this was a puzzler. In the end I picked an antelope pretty much at random, but the first thing I did was to look under "looks like dog". Which was useless.

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

It's definitely a small calf, either of hartebeest or of topi. They are very very similar. The pics I can find seem to show hartebeest with more black on tail, but its not clear. I would need to ask a bovid expert.
    Eland calf would have big dark tassel on tail and thin white vertical stripes on body.

Posted