Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Hyena vs. Wildebeast?

• Spaceman98 by Spaceman98

Perhaps its just me, but it looks to me like there is one wildebeast standing here and one spotted hyena eating something, along with one unidentifieable eye in the dark. Have I missidentified, or have our cameras picked up something interesting?

Posted

• Peter_Williams by Peter_Williams

I would guess that there are three wildebeest in this image. You are right to see the sloped shoulders of the second animal, but it is unlikely that a wildebeest and a hyena are just hanging out together. It's impossible to identify the eye of the third animal, but it is most likely that all of the animals are of the same species. Since the one on the left is clearly a wildebeest, I would guess they all are.

Posted

• izizou by izizou

Having "lightened the shadows" with Photoshop, I can clearly see a wildebeest on the edge on the left (no visible eye, its head is turned the other way). The eye to the right of that wildebeest (the lowest, less bright eye) also definitely belongs to a wildebeest eating, but there is a bush in front of the lower part of his body (legs and head), which might have given the hyena-like spottiness. I cannot see to whom the brightest eye (in the middle) belongs because it is behind a bush and a tree, but like Peter I would assume that it is a wildebeest as well. The two other wildebeest seem very calm, so no threat there! It's amazing the difference a good photo editing software can make.

Posted

• Spaceman98 by Spaceman98

When I saw this image, I thought that 2 hyenas had found a wildebeast calf and where eating it, when the mother arrived. The camera caught them here and did not recored the ensuing confrontation, or recorded it in other images which the filter did not give me. Your explanations are much more probable though, so thank you!

Posted