Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Cat with food in its mouth?!

• O._Henriksen by O._Henriksen

But which cat is it?
    Small ears compared to its head! The cameras are set in a low height and the habitat is very thick. Wildcat or leopard?
    The ears seem too rounded for a cheetah and are too small for serval and caracal.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

I think a leopard's ears are furrier and more rounded - I'd go with wildcat.

Posted

• wilderzone by wilderzone moderator

I think it's a warthog, what it's carrying are just its tusks.

Posted

I actually agree with the warthog. Well done! I did not see that shape at first - I think I focused too much on the ears!

Can one change the classification after finishing a photo?

Posted

?? Moderator! Can one change the classification after finishing a photo?

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator in response to ole.henriksen86@gmail.com's comment.

I'm afraid not, elo.henriksen86. But don't worry overmuch - occasional mistakes are expected, and the data analysis can handle them without them skewing the data (well, unless everyone who classifies a particular image makes exactly the same mistake, but that seems a touch unlikely! 😃 )

Posted

You should make such an app 😃

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

Ah, but then people would either discuss a photo before classifying it, or change the classification after discussing it. And that would start to skew the data - instead of being lots of unique, individual classifications, you'd have lots of "consensus" classifications, and the data analysis wouldn't work as intended. For "crowd sourced" projects like this one, you need the classifications to be individual, and unbiased by the input of others. Obviously, by discussing photos after classifying them, we learn and refine our classification skills - that's a different thing to classifying on the basis of a group discussion about that specific image.

Posted