Snapshot Serengeti Talk

What's the animal least often found?

• Brynda by Brynda

Most often captured has to be wildebeest, with zebra a close second, but what animal is the rarest in this study?

Ignore the capture of warthog and guineas, I could figure out how to post with no capture.

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

Zorilla I'd say most likely, think there been one or two shots, although not many Striped Hyena either, maybe I'm wrong on how many shots of them have been seen so far and not many more with Rhino on them.

But for believed numbers of each species in the whole camera trap covered area, I think I'll have to pass that to one of the experts.

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

There have been very few pangolin, and have we any verified sightings of wild dogs? I don't think we have any crocodiles either, though they are common in Serengeti. Hyrax are abundant, but the cameras just don't cover the rocks that they live on. There are numerous other animals on the Serengeti list which probably don't occur in the sampled area, such as oribi, patas monkey, b&w colobus, roan antelope, mountain reedbuck, klipspringer.

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

There was a blog post from Margaret about the breakdown of season 4 (http://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2013/01/30/some-results-from-season-4/). In that season there were no verified images of civets, genets, or zorillas and only one of either rhino or wildcat.

Posted