Snapshot Serengeti Talk

A quartet comprised of a trio!

• BHamer by BHamer

Two zebras, a Thomson's gazelle, and a... young wildebeest?

There might even be a fourth species here- there's someone else on the horizon, to the left of the farther-away zebra, and two or three someone elses just below the horizon beyond the gazelle. All too indistinct to tell, unfortunately.

Posted

• sisige by sisige

Looks like a warthog moving behind zebra on the left. There are more zebras in the background (moving on left, and standing under tree above right zebra's neck. Also I think a few more animals behind the Tommy that might be more gazelles.

Posted

• BHamer by BHamer

I wavered between wildebeest and warthog for our friend behind the zebra on the left. The size certainly seems more in line with warthog, but it seemed like the coloration was closer to wildebeest. Plus, one of the shots seems to show some lighter coloration on the face. So, I went with a young wildebeest. I'm still not certain either way.

I wondered about the objects behind the zebra on the right. I had the thought they could be zebras but couldn't discern enough of an animal shape to tell.

Quite a bit going on in this capture, I'd say.

Posted

• sisige by sisige in response to BHamer's comment.

"Quite a bit going on in this capture, I'd say."

Agreed!

I think a young wildebeest would be more brown, whereas this seems more grey, but it's the sum of our impressions that adds up to an ID. 😃

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Warthog confirmed. I think mostly zebra on horizon but one could be a gnu.

Posted

• BHamer by BHamer

Not that we can know, but I'd really like for one of the horizon animals to be a wildebeest. That would give us four mammal species in one capture. I doubt that's happened much. I seem to recall a blog post featuring some data analysis that indicated that even three is rare.

Posted