Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Oxpeckers roosting on giraffe?

• Jane_Williamson by Jane_Williamson

Has anyone seen anything like this before? I'm presuming these oxpeckers are roosting, considering the photo is taken at night.

Posted

• tsering by tsering

bizarre!

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator

It does appear that they are roosting on their host, in this case a giraffe. Apart from the nesting season, the oxpeckers do stay on one of their host animals. Both courtship and copulation occur whilst they are hitching a ride. It makes sense to stay on a host animal rather than having to leave them, find a roost for the night and then relocate a host the following morning.
    They will switch hosts once they encounter some different animals that are likely to provide better sustenance.
    While it was once thought that oxpeckers engaged in mutualism with the host animal, by taking the ticks from that animal, it now appears that they are parasites. They will drink blood from open wounds and peck the flesh to cause new wounds thus ensuring afresh supply of blood. They do also take just the ticks from some animals.

Posted

• Roypeter40 by Roypeter40

I had the same photo and came to te same conclusion. Oxpeckers resting on their host.

Posted

• Jane_Williamson by Jane_Williamson

Thanks for the info, Tillydad, really interesting. I've lived in Africa all my life, been involved in the safari business for a lot of it, and have never stopped to think where oxpeckers roost! Something I'll keep an eye out for in future.

Posted

My pleasure Jane Williamson, there is always something more to see and learn about in natural history, this is what makes it so fascinating . It is especially valuable having a resource such as this, as it will lead to further discoveries, prove some theories and expand our collective knowledge .

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan

Another case! here

Posted

This is further proof of my point above, that these cameras will teach us all sorts of things. There is little opportunity to study the roosting habits of oxpeckers in national parks and therefore these camera traps are an invaluable source of information 😃

Posted