Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Wildebeest giving birth on camera!

• SpaceTimeCorrespondent by SpaceTimeCorrespondent

Hello All!
    I am trying this post again. http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/subjects/ASG001d3f1
    I just received this image to classify. It appears to be a wildebeest in labor with her family surrounding and protecting her and the baby. If you look closely, you can see the amniotic (placental) sac just emerging. From my understanding wildebeests give birth standing up, so I hope this position still considered normal and does not represent and indication of a breech or other problem. If anyone has the subsequent images, please post them here! I am sure that I am not the only one who wants to see how this one turns out!
    I am going to attempt to post the picture, now the last time, I think I somehow lost the whole post. Does anyone know how to post an image in the text, instead of just a link? Thanks for any help.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I do not know enough about wildebeest to say whether this image is as you describe, but I believe that our mods and scientists may be able to weigh in. so I will defer to them.

It's certainly an interesting photo!

Posted

Thank you for the response DZM. There were three images in this series. This one showed the impending birth best. Is there any way to save more than one image if there are multiple images? Thanks.

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator

It is highly unlikely that we are witnessing a birth here.

The wildebeest drop their calves within a very short 3 week window during February in the Serengeti, following the rut of 8.5 months previously. Mating can occur at any time if females are in estrus, but in reality very few successful matings occur outside of the main rut. Male wildebeest have increased testosterone and sperm production during the main rut to increase the chance of a successful outcome. Any births that occur outside the main calving season will put the resultant calf in more danger than if it were part of the approximately 500,000 births that occur in February, as the calf will stand out from the main herd and attract predators. The rut is timed for the end of the rains so that the adult animals should be in peak condition.

During the main calving event the cows will not separate from the main herd but will find an area of short grass, lay down and give birth. Labour can be interrupted and the female may move until such time as the head and trunk appear - she will then lay down to birth or, if that is not possible, she will stand and gravity forces the calf to the ground. The amniotic sac is white, and from its first appearance, labour lasts for 1 hour. The yellow-tipped forefeet appear at about halfway point through the contractions. The mother is normally laid on her side and the contractions are visible. Once dropped the mother will vigorously lick the new calf and it will stand within 6 minutes .

The vast majority of births occur before noon so as to give the calf the best part of the day to suckle and gain strength, and to learn to walk before nightfall.

What we are seeing here, I believe, is a male wildebeest laid down and the whitish region near the tail is his testicular sac .

Hope that this helps 😃

Posted

What you related is what I thought was typical calving behavior for the wildebeest, hence my concern. The details you give on wildebeest conception and labor are very interesting.Thank you! Has climate change begun to interfere with this internal mating clock? I saw a new calf, yesterday, online. So fuzzy and cute.

Your last sentence made me snort my coffee out my nose! 😃 Buuttt on seconnnd looook, I think you're right. LOL!
    Yes, tillydad, you have been VERY helpful. 😉

Ummm...Since we've stumbled on the topic ... And I mean this in the most seriously clinical & scientific way... Several images I have been given to identify are close ups of well...animal male genitalia and nothing else (none to little context clues). Would it be possible to post a link with photos identifying who is hung how? It could be in a separate interface, so one can access it only when necessary - maybe the way colors or horns are set up or linked to the "does it look like..antelope or cattle, etc." dropdown? This could save a lot of time. I'm guessing that all the little antelope look about the same, but they're not tall enough to take those kinds of selfies, anyway. But the taller boys, talk about filling the frame, sheesh! Thank you for considering this idea.

Thank you again for the wildebeest info. And thanks again for the laugh. A good way to start a Monday. Cheers!

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator in response to tillydad's comment.

I agree with tillydad's comprehensive description above.

Posted

Thanks for weighing in!

Posted