Snapshot Serengeti Talk

the lost season: so many pictures with interesting animals

• Boleyn by Boleyn

I keep wondering how many interesting pictures show up at the moment. Many more lions, elephants, cheetahs, giraffes etc. than in season 8.

Does anyone know the reason for this? Not that I want to complain... 😃

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator

This "Lost season" contains many thousands of images that "fell through the cracks, for one reason or another", but it does seem to contain a high proportion of "good" images . No explanation has been given, so perhaps @aliburchard, or someone else from the research team could explain this, along with the arbitrary timestamps .
    Over to the researchers ! 😃

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

These images are in sets -- they're entire downloads from SD cards that didn't get properly transferred over from our archive of images to the Zooniverse servers. (The sets are 1-3 months for one site.) They're mostly from the first 3 seasons, when we didn't have great data management procedures in place. I can't say why we might be seeing more good animal pix, though. It's possible that the sets that fell through the cracks just happen to be from sites that get more animals than sites that get fewer animals.

Posted

• tillydad by tillydad moderator in response to kosmala's comment.

Thanks, @kosmala . Let's hope that we continue seeing lots of great images for the entirety of the "Lost season" 😃

Posted