Snapshot Serengeti Talk

"Bird-other" IDs - Big Birds

• wilderzone by wilderzone moderator

Putting together quick ID guides for some of the "bird-other" species we've been commonly running across. Starting with the big birds since they show up best in the trap photos and are easiest to ID at a glance without pawing through the field guide. This post will cover the non-Kori Bustard species, storks, herons, and the ground-hornbill.

Southern Ground-hornbill

This handsome fellow is a Southern Ground-hornbill, Bucorvus leadbeateri. Their heavy black bodies and bright red eye and throat wattles make them unmistakable. Sexes are similar, both have the wattles. They forage almost entirely on the ground, eating insects, reptiles, and small mammals.

White Storks

These large black and white birds are White Storks, Ciconia ciconia. They will probably be quite familiar to our European collaborators as they are migratory, spending summers in Europe and wintering throughout Sub-Saharan Africa. They're usually seen in groups, and they seem to be using the brush fire to scare up some tasty insects in this photo.

Marabou Stork

The Marabou Stork, Leptoptilos crumeniferus, is a massive bird with a naked pink head and neck. They are primarily scavengers, and can often be seen at kills alongside vultures. They'll eat just about anything, and in my experience will do their darndest to shake you down for your lunch (if the Black Kites don't get it first...)

White-bellied Bustard

The White-bellied Bustard, Eupodotis senegalensis, is probably the most common "bird-other". About half the size of a Kori Bustard, they're often seen in small family groups. The distinguishing marks to tell this species from the less-common Black-headed or Hartlaub's Bustards (below) is the light gray neck, and the white patch on the head that almost encircles the eyes.

Black-bellied Bustard

The Black-bellied Bustard, Eupodotis melanogaster, and the Hartlaub's Bustard, Eupodotis hartlaubii, are about the same size as the White-bellied, but have more back on their heads and wide black stripe down the front of their brown necks. They are difficult to tell apart, and none of the photos I could find really showed any distinguishing marks. I think this one is Hartlaub's but don't hold me to it!

Cattle-egret

The Cattle Egret, Bubulcus ibis, is usually found in flocks alongside herds of Wildebeest, Buffalo, and/or Zebra. You may have seen them hitching a ride on the backs of buffalo. Their tall stature and white color make them stand out a lot in the grasslands.

Heron

I've only noticed one heron shot so far, and this it, a Black-headed Heron, Ardea melanocephalia. There are three other species of large herons in the region, including the spectacular Goliath Heron.

As far as big birds go, those are the ones I've seen show up on the message boards a lot, so I hope those will help with some quick IDs. I am rather surprised not to have run into any other Storks, Herons, Crowned Cranes or Ibises yet, if you see any let me know!

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

Awesome big bird guide, wilderzone. Thanks!

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

I'll second that! I'm only familiar with British birds (and a few Aussie ones from a couple of visits there), so this is great. Thank you!

Posted

Thanks guys. I think the birds of prey with be next. The smaller birds are going to be a little harder to come up with good photos for ID, I'm doing a lot of squinting.

Posted

• DanishDyna by DanishDyna

Nice! How about this one:

Red headed bird

ASG000cmo6

Or would he/she fall into the "small bird" category?

Edited to add: I was looking through a bird collection and found another photo of this bird here: ASG0006hsj It was identified as a "Grey breasted spurfowl" by okopho which, after checking on Wiki, seems right.

Posted

I'm going to separate the smaller ground birds (like this spurfowl) into their own group, which will also include plovers, lapwings, and other grouse-like birds. This is a great ID photo for the spurfowl, better than the other one which I had collected to use, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Posted

• michele.mks by michele.mks

I seem to see the white-breasted bustard more often than the Khori bustard. Is there a reason the Khori is singled out for identification? I know it's the heaviest flying bird, but is it just because it's so rare?

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

We chose a few obvious and common big birds to put in the ID list. There's no special reason that Kori bustard is on there, but white-breasted isn't.

Posted

• majortim by majortim

I would also say that is a Hartlaub's in the above collection, but could ikt also be a hybrid of Hartlaub and the black-bellied?

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan

Saddle-billed stork ASG001etc9

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan

Black-headed heron? ASG001xa6z

Posted

• maricksu by maricksu moderator in response to parsfan's comment.

Absolutely correct, very good capture of Black-headed Heron (Ardea melanocephala).

Black-headed Heron

Black head and hindneck contrast with white throat and and foreneck.
    (also smaller and darker than Grey Heron).
    Often feeding on the plains, far from water 😃

Posted

• Gee_Is_Me by Gee_Is_Me

AH HA! The large bird in the distance I had to classify as 'other' was a Marabou Stork! Thank you for the extra info.

Posted