Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Season 4

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

Looks like the earliest possible release date for Season 4 is Monday. More likely Wednesday or Thursday of next week -- just to be on the safe side. It would be 😦 if the site went down over Christmas and no one was working to put it back up again.

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator

I shouldn't say this I know, but yayyyyy! That means there might still be some left when I get back on 31 Dec! 😄 Going to visit family over Christmas, and was thinking I was going to miss Season 4 as a result.

Posted

• Batolito by Batolito

wy not increase the number of cameras and program them to automatically file the photos how you want?? that way you could put them here quicker and in larger numbers.

Posted

The cameras are spread out over about 1000 square kilometers in the Serengeti; it takes Ali up to 4 hours to get to the ones that are farthest away, all off-road. It takes several weeks of full-time effort to visit them all and grab the images off of them, so increasing the number of cameras isn't trivial.

We are working to automate much of the image processing -- we had thought you all would take a few weeks or even a couple months to go through Seasons 1-3 and that we'd get all our automation scripts written in that time. (Oops!) Once we have the images back in the U.S., we have some processing to do on them -- pull out date-time stamps, for example, and we make them somewhat smaller to make sure Snapshot Serengeti loads on your browser in a reasonable amount of time. Then we have to copy the images from their permanent archive location to the web servers where you access them through Snapshot Serengeti. All of this would be fairly fast, except that we do it on so many images. (Season 4 is over 400 Gigabytes of images!) So the lag between receiving images in the U.S. and getting them ready for Snapshot Serengeti is always going to be at least a few days, even when all the processing is automated.

Posted

• chipo by chipo

Waiting and anticipating is also fun. 😉

Posted

Word on Z-street is that it may be another couple days. We've pulled out date-time stamps and are now grouping them into the proper triplets for displaying.

Posted

• arfon by arfon

...and now just sorting out the site positions. Getting there folks...

Posted

• Ohsoalexzy by Ohsoalexzy

So excited. tehe. 😃 I'm just happy to still be seeing diffferent photos.

Posted

Season 4 is LIVE!

Posted

• Bennycatgirl by Bennycatgirl

Wheeeeeee! 😄

Posted

• horkusone by horkusone

I am SO excited and have been classifying like crazy today. I have, however, noticed a lot of repeats pretty early into it. I thought there was an algorithm in place to keep us from getting the same photos twice but perhaps not. In either case, I am happy to have new pics!

Posted

• DanishDyna by DanishDyna

I too am seeing repeats. Hope its not a bug.

Posted

• corec by corec

I also saw quite a few duplicates while classifying pictures yesterday. On my 2 hour "trip" I saw maybe 10 duplicates.

Posted

Hmm... will ask the developers about the repeats. You shouldn't be getting them.

Posted

• arfon by arfon

When you see a repeat do you know if the have the same Zooniverse ID (e.g. ASG00005y1) or different ones? This will help us debug this issue.

Cheers
    Arfon

Posted

• arfon by arfon

OK we can see in the logs that people are definitely getting the same image repeatedly (I know you all knew this but we've confirmed on our side too now). Working on a fix - we're not entirely sure what's going on here.

Cheers
    Arfon

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

I'm glad its not just me finding myself thinking this is deja-vu, sure i've seen that one before, then thought must be part of a set of images taken at the same time, so it would be rather similar, that was until I decided to 'Collect' some and found I already had them in a collection from earlier/yesterday. I'd wondered if it was just a minor double up of some photos, hope you figure it soon.

Posted

• parrish by parrish admin in response to corec's comment.

This should be fixed now.

If you still find that you're being given duplicate images to classify, please let us know.

Posted

• Ingootje by Ingootje

I'm getting duplicates

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist in response to Ingootje's comment.

Ingootje, can you give us a link to one of your duplicates? Anyone else getting duplicates?

Posted

• Ingootje by Ingootje in response to kosmala's comment.

http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/subjects/ASG000blhe

Posted

• watchintheplains by watchintheplains

I just got a duplicate too: http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/subjects/ASG000e85j

Posted

• coralee by coralee

Instead of "nothing there" and "finish" could you also have "not sure" which would speed things up?

Posted

• Ingootje by Ingootje

1 more
    http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/subjects/ASG000etcw

Posted

• Peatysmoky by Peatysmoky

Hi there. I'm relatively new to this, have put in 3 sessions of IDing now. Just wondered whether you've considered attributing stats to people's accounts - number of photos IDed would be an easy one, and if you come up with definitive IDs at any point, you could even (eventually) score on % correct! This would be fun, and by introducing an element of competition, could increase throughput (though from some comments here, this might not be something you're desperate to achieve). It could also benefit the classification process - you could this more accurate by weighting the IDs of experienced/skilled observers versus those with less impressive stats. Just a thought! Mark

Posted

• rlb66 by rlb66

I get duplicates on a regular basis. The latest was ASG000f0ps, April 19, 2012 4:30:57 am, 1 photo only

Posted

• Ingootje by Ingootje in response to Peatysmoky's comment.

if you want to see the number photo's you Ided:
    https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/current

Posted

• Brianmp by Brianmp

I've also had a duplicate this evening.

http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/subjects/ASG000f98q

Posted

• BBCoaster by BBCoaster

Image ASG000f0wr This was given to me twice in a few minutes.

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist in response to coralee's comment.

@coralee please see this blog post about why we don't have a "not sure" option: http://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2012/12/14/we-need-an-i-dont-know-button/

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist in response to Peatysmoky's comment.

@Peatysmoky Thanks for the ideas. We will be analyzing the data and posting to the Snapshot Serengeti blog as we get results, so you'll be able to see some measures of how everyone's doing. But we don't currently have a way to give individual people feedback beyond number of images classified.

Posted

• arfon by arfon in response to BBCoaster's comment.

Hi all, seems like an old bug might have crept back into our codebase. We won't likely have a fix for this until Monday now but thanks for brining it to our attention again.

Posted

• paulj201 by paulj201

I agree with Peatysmoky (post 2 days ago) that it would be good to get some simple stats shown on the site for the identifier if at all possible. I would like to see how many I had done that day, by me, by everyone, and how many I had done altogether.

Posted

• rchaddy by rchaddy

i am so happy season four is live, not because that means that it is almost over but because i was one of the first people to see it.
    wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Posted

• Ingootje by Ingootje

double again
    http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/subjects/ASG000egdd

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan in response to arfon's comment.

Still getting repeats, sometimes just 2 or 3 photos apart 😦

Posted

• jcbrstege by jcbrstege

How do I get information on my classifications? I would like to know how many I have made in total.

Posted

• okopho by okopho in response to jcbrstege's comment.

Go to https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/current.

Posted

• jcbrstege by jcbrstege

Thanks.

Posted

• bkirby by bkirby

It was suggested that if we can specifically identify a set shown to us more than once that we post it here. I've identified two today: ASG000dk0r and ASG000dtf1

Posted

• wilderzone by wilderzone moderator

I just got this one twice ASG000c4ml. I haven't noticed it happening that much recently, but I'll flag any ones I find.

Posted

• ahorner58 by ahorner58

Will there be a season 5? I might go into withdrawl if not!

Posted

• Veegee by Veegee

wow, logged in to that link and I have done 10,000 classifications in just Serengeti!! Guess you can tell I loved it lol

Posted

• wilderzone by wilderzone moderator

Another duplicate for me, spaced several days apart this time. Others have been pretty close to each other. ASG000dcbn

Posted

Got another duplicate. ASG000bpa5

Posted

And another: ASG000cpz8

Posted

And another: ASG000dz1k

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan

I still (at this late stage!) get an estimated 2-3% duplicates, some within minutes, some days apart...

eg ASG000c7lk is the latest (about 10 minutes apart)
    ASG000d7r4 15 minutes apart

ASG000crau 4 minutes apart, etc etc

Posted

• AowlanCrystal by AowlanCrystal moderator

I have got a number of duplicates too, but its come to an end season 4.. sadly 😦

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan

Thanks to all the team for a very enjoyable Season 4! I hope season 5 is up soon and that the zorillas were busy 😉
    Current total 16331, hope to break into the 20,000 club next season!

Posted

• dms246 by dms246 moderator in response to parsfan's comment.

Amazing total, parsfan!

Posted

• jeyashree by jeyashree

When do we get the next round of animals to classify ?

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist in response to jeyashree's comment.

Season 5 info...
    http://talk.snapshotserengeti.org/#/boards/BSG0000009/discussions/DSG0000f6s

Posted

For those suffering from withdrawal symptoms, or who just want to enjoy seeing more of the Season 4 images while we wait for the Season 5 images, a load of the Season 4 images have been put back into the system. Additional classifications are always useful, so any time you spend viewing and classifying these images won't be wasted. 😃

Posted

• chipo by chipo in response to dms246's comment.

We love you DMS and Serengeti!

Posted

Heheh! I'm just the messenger, but thank you! 😄

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan

This is great news 😃 Thanks, team!

Posted

• jcbrstege by jcbrstege

That was really good news, have been through some 500 of them and haven´t met that many duplicates from my previous classifications. Just passed the 20k mark and still I haven´t had enough. Still no rhino! But a hartebeest resting under the same tree for a long period and looking as calm as a meditating guru, great animal.

Posted

• muddynomad by muddynomad

Is any of the resulting tagged data available to the public?

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist in response to muddynomad's comment.

Not yet. But it will be eventually.

Posted

• Zaynlover20 by Zaynlover20 in response to Ohsoalexzy's comment.

SO EXCITED. TEHE.:0 JUST HAPPY TO SEE DIFFERENT PHOTOS

Posted

• azjarose by azjarose

i found a pangolin. it looked liked armadillo so i looked on google for africa. i am 6

Posted

• azjarose by azjarose

what do i put

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator in response to azjarose's comment.

Great job identifying a pangolin! Someone else mentioned seeing a picture of a pangolin today as well. I had never seen one before. Here is the picture @parsfan posted in another thread:

pangolin

Since a pangolin is not on the list, you will have to pick something else that looks similar, even though you know it is wrong (a bit strange but saying "nothing there" would not be correct). Keep up the good work!!!

Posted

• Gabmam by Gabmam

Bonjour
    Qd on ne reconnait absolument pas l'animal comment peut on passer à une autre capture?
    merci

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator in response to Gabmam's comment.

Mon Francais est horrible, mais je vais essayer (avec Google Translate): S'il ya un animal, vous devriez essayer de l'identifier. Prenez votre meilleure estimation. La même image sera vue par 10 ou tant de gens, tout le monde va donner une réponse. C'est OK si vous n'êtes pas sûr, juste essayer. Seulement si vous ne voyez aucun animal, cliquez sur "nothing there".

Posted

• Gabmam by Gabmam

ok merci

donc il vaut mieux ecrire une réponse fausse que cliquer sur "nothing there"

on s"y remet

a bientot

merci google translate 😉

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

Oui, essayez d'être aussi précis que possible, mais parfois vous devez deviner (si vous ne voyez qu'une petite partie de l'animal, par exemple). Il est préférable de deviner et de se tromper que de dire "rien ici" s'il ya quelque chose là-bas.

Posted