Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Is this project over??

• DJ_59 by DJ_59

A few of us are very concerned. I stay logged in all the time, so I seem to be able to classify and post, but others have found the front door locked. What's more, it's been moved to "Retired Projects" on the Zooniverse page. A lot of us are in love with this project, so please let us know what the status is. Thanks.

Posted

• DJ_59 by DJ_59

Well now the front door works again. The sign makes clear the sad news. It's over. (Sniffle) Will it start up again when you have more images, or is that just it?

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

It is not over. We are, however, done with Seasons 1-3. Each season covers roughly 6 months of time. Season 4 (which covers the first half of 2012) has been processed and is being uploaded to the Zooniverse servers as I write this. (They say it will take about another 20 hours to finish the upload; there are over half a million new photos!)

My guess is that Season 4 will go live on Monday. But possibly tomorrow or Tuesday -- or maybe even Wednesday. Very soon.

Season 5 (covering the second half of 2012) is sitting on a hard drive out in the Serengeti. Ali is flying there right now and will send the hard drive back to the States mid-January. We'll hopefully have Season 5 live by early February.

Right now you should be able to continue classifying animals, even though we don't need any more classifications to do the science research. If you're getting locked out, please let us know!

Posted

• Ohsoalexzy by Ohsoalexzy

Will the research be published?

Posted

• DJ_59 by DJ_59

Thank you, Kosmala. That is a huge relief. Personally, I wish this project would last forever.

Posted

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

@Ohsoalexzy: Yes! Our research will be published. And we'll keep you up-to-date on how it's all going.

Posted