Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Season 6 is live!!!!

• Helice by Helice

Oh my goodness people, I see season 6 on the homepage!!!!! So excited!!!! Just one thing dampens my enthusiasm: I don't know how to tell which season any given picture is from. I'd love to know when I'm working on the freshest data. Call me a geek. 😃

Posted

• wildebeesty by wildebeesty

I think season 5 is of 2012 and season 6 is of 2013

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

You can see the date and location of any given image that you are classifying by clicking on the little "pointer icon" (I'm sure there is an official term for that.) underneath the image. Or else in the discussion mode it will be displayed under the image.

Posted

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday

Are the cameras set for local time there in the Serengeti? I so what is usual sunrise and sunset? Sometimes it seems like it is dark when it should be light and vice versa?

Posted

I think the time stamp is frequently not accurate, possibly through some sort of malfunction (baboons come to mind). The images of the scientists with their cards stating time and date probably function as a kind of control. I have also noticed that the times can be somewhat random. A quick Google search tells me that day length in Tanzania is pretty much constant at 12h with sunrise and sunset around 6 am/pm.

Posted

• Helice by Helice in response to areinders's comment.

Ah yes, you are right. I think that the official term for that button is the "satellite view." Also can be accessed by pressing M. I love key commands.

Posted

But even the Sat. Button sometimes seems off. I've seen a Sat. time that would indicate 11:00. PM and it is daylight! I figured with it being so close to equator it would be close to even daylight/darkness. I was just curious about it.

Posted

ok, I found an answer. Day and night both about 12hrs, with about 15 min dawn & dusk. From what I read 6 ;30 is the sunset/sunrise time. From winter to summer maybe a 15 min-30 seasonal change in that time. If this is incorrect, someone please let me know.

Posted

No, you are right, see my post above. About 12h days, from 6 to 6, give or take. The "satellite view" time is not different from the time shown in the discussion section, it's what the camera recorded and therefore can be also wrong. Theoretically the cameras should keep time and date correctly once they are set but something might bump the camera or a curious baboon plays with the buttons and this can throw them off.

I usually think of the time as "relative time", meaning that it tells me whether two images were taken within a short time or not, everything else take with a grain of salt.

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

You are right about daylength and sunrise time. The photo-data times are not local time, I too would love to know if there is a correction factor. I know that with the cameras I use, if you change the batteries you have to reset the date and time stamp or it starts with a default value. Maybe they aren't being reset. Scientists, comment?????

Posted

• pema by pema

I'm getting a message to say all the images have been classified - but the counter still shows half of season 5 to go, and of course we've only just started season 6. ???

Posted

I got the same message but then it seemed to continue anyways - must be a bug.

Posted

• pema by pema

Whew ! images back again right enough 😃

Posted