Snapshot Serengeti Talk

Season 7

• kosmala by kosmala scientist

Just wanted to let you all know that Season 7 images are in Minnesota and are being loaded onto our servers for processing. We hope to launch Season 7 by the end of January... Happy New Year!

Posted

• sisige by sisige

Woohoo! Thanks for sharing the news, and Happy New Year to you too! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan

Yay!

Posted

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday

Ok, the 1st week of Feb. is almost history, still waiting for season 7 photos! When is that launch going to be? πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• aliburchard by aliburchard scientist, translator

Sorry @mistyfriday - we're still pre-processing the photos. They are now on the University's servers, but we are going through the process of checking to make sure all the photos transferred over, correcting errors in file names and locations and all that sort of housekeeping before we can hand them over to Zooniverse for upload to the site.

So...soon! We'll keep you posted...

Posted

• klallman by klallman

It looks like the photos for Season 7 aren't numbered in order the way they were last season… Can't check my guesses this time 😦

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan

Are all the photos up? I've looked at a couple of hundred so far and I haven't come across some of the locations from previous seasons (e.g. the wooded thicket where the impala and dik-dik used to be seen regularly) Were some cameras re-sited? Not that I'm complaining, just curious πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

The images get released in batches (which makes serving the images to your browser faster). It appears that the batches are associated with cameras -- I've also noticed that some sites show up more often than you'd expect for having so many cameras. I'm not sure if any of the cameras got relocated (Ali can weigh in on this), but if they were, it was only a small number. And there are some new cameras in this season, in addition to the ones you've seen before.

Posted

• parsfan by parsfan in response to kosmala's comment.

Thanks for the info, Margaret. That all makes sense πŸ˜ƒ I noticed some of the new sites... hope they're full of zorillas!! πŸ˜‰

Posted

• Szura by Szura

Sooo happy you are back! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• davidbygott by davidbygott moderator

Margaret, are we stuck with the apparently random numbering of the images, as klallman pointed out, above? Is there any way now to find the image before or after the one we are looking at? Or is this an experiment to see how well we cope without that 'unfair' advantage?

Posted

I hadn't realized how much folks were using the before-and-after images here in Talk, or else I would have specifically asked to preserve the ordering. When the images get uploaded by Zooniverse, they rename each image with the alpha-numeric designator you see in the URL. For whatever reason, in Season 6 they must have gone through images chronologically, but in Season 7 they didn't. (We did change our processing between 6 and 7 -- you'll notice that the timestamps for Season 7 are actually correct!) Unfortunately, we're stuck with the random ordering for Season 7, since it would be very confusing to rename them all.

That being said, I have the data that maps each alpha-numeric designator to each camera-and-timestamp. But that data set is super huge, so it would be very cumbersome to just put it on the web somewhere. What would be useful, I imagine, is a little web applet that takes in an alpha-numeric designator and returns a set of close-in-time images -- maybe those within a half-hour or so.

If someone has the time, desire, and aptitude to write such a thing, I can provide the data...

Posted

• sisige by sisige

I don't have the programming skills so I'm not volunteering... But I always thought I would be great with the Season 6 images if they could just add a link that took you to the next or previous one in the series (based on the image numbering). Obviously we can't use the image numbering anymore, but if someone were able to develop an app, I'd suggest having it look up the next or previous image, regardless of how far apart they are. Checking the next shot and finding out it is 2 days later lets you know not to bother looking for any other images on the same day. On the other hand, if it is a few minutes later, that might give you all you need.

Just my two cents worth. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• mistyfriday by mistyfriday in response to kosmala's comment.

I know nothing of programming but I can speak for my usage. I came in at about a month into season 5 and I believe the system we are talking about was available then too. I noticed people using it and in my desire to learn and be correct in my IDs would come over here and check on IDs I was unsure of to see if I was correct or not. I noticed people were able to find these images before and after so I started looking to do it too. I noticed they were being used as a teaching tool by moderators and others who knew their animals and just wanted to share and thought this was great. Actually, I thought it was the norm. That is why I made the comments I did at the beginning of this season 7 on science the board about the time stamp and sequencing. Parrish addressed the time stamp. Personally I miss not being able to look and see what went on before and after. Sometimes you saw a great sequence with a cat family in front of the camera for hours. But I know nothing about computers to help, I'm sorry. 😦

Posted

• areinders by areinders moderator

I also very much miss that feature (but don't have the programming skills to come up with a solution). It was so helpful to be able to check myself when I wasn't sure about an ID or to help out if anyone had a question.

Posted

• mecurtin by mecurtin

I have some programming and web interface skills. What type of database is the info in?

Posted